Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Converting warehouse lighting from T12 to T8

On 12/28/2011 8:19 PM, Ignoramus4193 wrote:
My warehouse is lit by T12 based lights that seem like they are from
1970s or 1980s. The minus is that they look old, the plus is that they
are still around after all those years.

As we all know, T12 is being replaced by T8 and T5 lights.

This is all fine and dandy, but the old ballast technology seems to be
a lot more reliable. I hear people complaining that all those
"energy savings" end up being paid to electricians swapping those
electronic ballasts, that die right after warranty expires.

First of all, is this a valid concern?

Second, I am convinced that the world knows how to make reliable
electronic ballasts. It is just that the manufacturers choose to make
crap, for the usual reasons. That said, are there T8 ballasts that are
"honestly made" and reliable?

I am facing the fact that I need to do something about my lighting. I
do not want to do something stupid.

When the T8 ballasts first came on the scene, I don't think any that I
came in contact with commercially, lasted more than a year. I couldn't
say how many generations have past since then, but the current crop of
electronic ballasts seem quite durable to me. Having said that, very
often magnetic ballasts die a slow death, where as electronic ballasts
go instantly, when they die. also a three or four light fixture would
have more than one magnetic ballast, so the entire fixture doesn't die
at the same time as with an electronic ballast.