Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Hot water heater and recirculator pump

On Dec 28, 12:29*pm, "
wrote:

Many of these pumps just return the hot water via the cold
water line. *That saves a pipe run, especially convenient
for old work where you don't have access. *Downside to that
is that it puts that tepid hot water into the cold line where
the sink or any other location on that run will pull it. *Not
so good if you want a drink of water and get a glass of
stanky, tepid water from the water heater. * So, I like the
idea of the seperate return line. *You could also consider
putting it on a timer so that it doesn't recirculate all night
when rarely used. * Also, insulate all pipes as you will
have a heating loop, losing energy.

I never considered that an option, because isn't heated water
technically not considered potable? I often draw a glass of water
from, say, the bathroom sink if I already have a glass and don't feel
like walking all the way back to the kitchen.

nate