Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Solder rot

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:51:49 +0000, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:28:46 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

wrote:

Reflow the joints with some good honest 60/40 Lead based solder (still
legal for repairs) and a decent temperature controlled soldering iron.

Is there any problem mixing lead and lead-free solder?

Daniele

Depends on the alloy. Some of the Lead-free solders currently
available contain high quantities of Zinc. While they flow and melt
like 60/40, they are prone to corrosion.

Other mixes don't perform well at low temperatures (especially high
Tin alloys) or under vibration. Probably OK for most domestic
applications, not good at all for aerospace.

Just curious - what type of solder (if any) IS used in the aerospace
industry these days?

I think I've got enough tin/lead (grade K) to see me out anyway :-)

That reminds me - Ive only got 24 500 reels left - time I bought some
more

--
geoff