Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solder rot

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:19:19 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 16:17:05 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 28/12/2011 11:37, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 08:51:49 +0000, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 23:28:46 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

wrote:

Reflow the joints with some good honest 60/40 Lead based solder
(still legal for repairs) and a decent temperature controlled
soldering iron.

Is there any problem mixing lead and lead-free solder?

Daniele

Depends on the alloy. Some of the Lead-free solders currently
available contain high quantities of Zinc. While they flow and melt
like 60/40, they are prone to corrosion.

Other mixes don't perform well at low temperatures (especially high
Tin alloys) or under vibration. Probably OK for most domestic
applications, not good at all for aerospace.

Just curious - what type of solder (if any) IS used in the aerospace
industry these days?

Quite often lead free in Europe, although it can be tricky on military
stuff where you have US manufactured primary parts (or second source -
as is usually a requirement) - since they will often come pre-tinned
with leaded solder.

I think I've got enough tin/lead (grade K) to see me out anyway :-)

Its still readily available anyway since its needed for repair work on
existing equipment. CPC do it.

Neither Maplin nor B&Q do now, though.

Rapid did when I last looked.

--