Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default Ventless gas heaters -- my experience

On 12/28/2011 18:23, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
The average coal or NG fired power plant burns fuel to make
electricity and loses half the energy as waste, then the utilities
waste another15% getting it to you, and you lose another 10%
converting it back into heat... Burn the gas into heat yourself, and
save on all the losses and paying all the middle-men.

The last 10% is incorrect. Electrical heating has definitely 100%
efficiency in a closed room. All wiring loss, all radiant loss,
everything turns into heat eventually inside the room.

Depends on the cost of gas if it makes sense..

At least here in Finland :
- burning gas : 0.22 euro/kWh
(about 2.5euro/kg in 10kg tanks, 12.8kWh/kg, 90% efficiency)
- burning light oil : 0.16 euro/kWh
(about 1.1 euro/litre, 10kWh/litre, 70% efficiency)
- direct electrical heating : 0.11euro/kWh

So here, it is actually cheapest to heat with electricity.

I have an air-to-air heat pump running with electricity..
Saves about 20% electricity compared to direct heating with
resistive heaters. Pays for itself in 5 years. Doesn't save
more because there's not so much energy in air to pump when
it is less than -10C and it certainly is a few months a year..

Kristian Ukkonen.