Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M. Procida D.M. Procida is offline

Default Solder rot

John Williamson wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Leaded I would imagine, seeing as the automotive industry is exempted from
the lead free requirement, so moreso the aerospace industry.

What exactly was the problem with lead solder? Were children eating it
or something?

The Powers That Be decided that if electronics stuff containing lead was
disposed by dumping it into landfill, the lead would leach out into the
water supply or if it was burnt, the lead would be carried in the flue
gases and spread itself all over the landscape.

.... whereas it's really great for the environment for our society to
dispose of mountains of prematurely-deceased tin-whiskered electronic
junk.

Daniele