Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil filter change in old car - how often?

tony sayer wrote:

I rather doubt if anyone's given a thought to how much energy it would
take to power UK transport needs.

I am sorry to say that they have. At least David Mackay , and I, have,
in great detail.

Somewhere around 150-300GW to run the entire country (excluding imported
energy intensive goods and mass immigration) depending on the efficiency
of the transport drive trains and storae systems.

A damm sight more then what
windymill's could produce...

Actually just about feasible if the storage existed, and the entire
country was covered in them to the exclusion of all living areas and
open spaces, radar, terrestrial TV, a lot of mobile phones, and most of
the people..and the chinese would give them to us and install them for
noting rather than 10x the nations GDP in loan repayments for the next
1000 years.

BUT the storage does not, and nor will it ever. Not in any way of
storing it currently known to mankind anyway.

The green solution is to have a FEW windmills and a FEW battery cars for
the Green Party, and everyone else..well they just die. Simples!