Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default CFLs can catch fire. Murder, death, kill. Your dog, too.

.. wrote the following:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
"Compact fluorescent lamps, which will gradually replace traditional
incandescent bulbs, are a fire hazard that could burn down your home,
experts have warned... when a CFL can no longer produce light, the
electronics in its base will still try to function, sometimes leading to
overheating, smoke and fire."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1hjrLP2Ar

Rule 1. Anything electrical can catch fire (and will at some point).
Rule 2. Anything hot (like the surface of a light bulb) can start fires
(and will at some point).

CFLs have a long way to go to catch up with the number of fires started by
incandescent bulbs including the super-hot linear halogen lamps that used to
be used in torchieres.

Still used, in my case anyway, and the bulbs are still available for sale.
I have two of the 6' tall jobs bought years ago. One with a variable
brightness control knob and the other a 3 stepped brightness knob.
Neither came with a screen over the top and I'll admit, I didn't know
about the retrofitting.
These are very rarely used and are nowhere near any material that could
catch fire due to the bulb.

Read about this doozy of a fire caused by a halogen lamp -- and which
resulted in the UL requirement that all torchiers using halogen lamps were
required to have guards over the lamp and that existing torchiers had to be
retrofitted.
http://articles.latimes.com/1997-01-...on-s-apartment

See the CU/UL report on the CFL safety subject:
http://174.129.132.250/safety/2010/0...ul-report.html

Tomsic

--
Bill