Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Christmas morning with hot water heater

On Dec 25, 3:35*pm, Joe wrote:
On Dec 25, 2:08*pm, Davej wrote:

Looks like my electric hot water heater has sprung a leak near the
bottom next to the threaded hole for the drain. If I drained the thing
and unscrewed the drain pipe I could probably reach in and daub
something on the leak, but I'm guessing that wouldn't last and isn't
worth the bother.

...So I want to replace this electric with a gas water heater. I'm
guessing that means going to the county and pulling a permit so that
an inspector can check my work? I have a gas furnace and I'm tired of
having a $20 minimum gas bill every month all Spring, Summer and Fall
for nothing.

This is a simple appliance replacement. In many jurisdictions that
does not require a permit. If you ask, don't go overboard with
details. It only confuses some bureaucrats.
Start now collecting the right tools and materials, black iron pipe,
pipe cutter, threading dies (Harbor Freight is decent, Ridgid if you
intend to do it for a living). Also pipe dope (Teflon type), clips and
anchors, street ells, tees, ells, *unions, nipples, caps and plugs.
Lay out a plan and figure out exactly what you will need, maybe add a
plugged tee for a future back yard barbecue. Box store pipe is OK, but
being Chinese it is not always perfectly round and will be harder to
start a thread than American made. A small mounted pipe vise is cheap
handy accessory, too.
The plastic covered SS corrugated gas pipe is under fire now for
problems, so avoid that until they get the situation resolved. *HTH

Joe

Check with your AHJ. I know that around here, all gas work must be
done by a licensed contractor. Not that I'd really do it myself
anyway. It's not *hard,* mind you, but the consequences of getting it
wrong are really, really bad.

nate