Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Metal identification

On Dec 26, 10:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I bought something neat at a swap meet. *It is a peanut, 8.5" long, 3.5"
wide, and 2.5" high. *Two pieces. *It is fairly shiny on the inside.
Absolutely no identifying marks on it.

I Googled testing for silver, and they said use a dab of plain mustard. *I
tried, and apparently it's not silver. *What simple test can I perform for
aluminum? *Apparently if it is aluminum, it is a harder alloy, as it *shines
up pretty good. *It feels heavy. *It does not react whatsoever to a magnet.
My guess is aluminum.

Simple test for aluminum?

Pretty neat for two bucks. *I'll polish it up, and use it for our table as a
nut tray.

Steve

http://www.koslow.com