Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Unions are a very good idea in any well run industry. Allowing management
a convenient way to negotiate etc with their workforce. As all the
successful companies know only too well.

Well a very few places where I've worked in the past they didn't have
Unions as they were very well run companies. And if a company is well
run there're shouldn't be a need for a Union thats just a needed
response to the **** poor management that sometimes still prevails...

How do you explain to each and every member of staff in a large company
how any pay rise etc is arrived at? By letter?

Well these were quite young small companies...

Also, a member of staff with a grievance or whatever is likely being
happier talking it over with a colleague who is a member of that union
rather than a manager. The rep can then put across the point - likely
without the heat of the previous scenario.

Never knew anyone who had one. The pay was good conditions good, staff
treated like human beings. Management were as often as not likely to be
buying rounds in the pub after work. People wanted to work there and
enjoyed it..

Of course none of that would be needed with a perfectly run company. But
being run by humans, most unlikely.

Course I never worked for the likes of BT or a large nationalised firm
that I could imagine wouldn't be anywhere near the same;(.

I did have a uncle who worked in a large factory up North, he hated the
management there with a large vengeance....
--
Tony Sayer