Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,sci.electronics.repair

Default Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 09:52:02 +0800, who where wrote:

The application here was in a residence with solid brick walls, and
the need to get connection to an "island" section of inner wall
without cable running down a wall or around a skirting board, which
the client felt would be unsightly. Client also ruled out wireless.
These rooms were carpeted(*).

Remove the baseboard trim (skirting board??), and mill a grove for the
flat or round wire behind it. The problem is that there's a danger of
someone pounding a brad or staple into the baseboard trim, and hitting
the cable.

It's really a pity that I can't find CAT5 with only two pairs of wires
in the cable. It would be about 66% of the diameter of the common
four pair CAT5.

You could also lift the carpet and route a shallow grove into the
plywood subfloor for the flat CAT5 cable. Subfloors are 0.75" to
1.25" thick. 0.100 isn't going to weaken the flooring. Glue in place
with hot melt glue. Fill the grove and cover with Fixall. Reinstall
carpet with a carpet kicker. (I haven't tried this but it should
work).

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#