Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Christmas morning with hot water heater

On Dec 26, 12:02*am, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:47:14 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Dec 25, 3:36*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Dec 25, 4:28*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Davej wrote:
Looks like my electric hot water heater has sprung a leak near the
bottom next to the threaded hole for the drain. If I drained the thing
and unscrewed the drain pipe I could probably reach in and daub
something on the leak, but I'm guessing that wouldn't last and isn't
worth the bother.

...So I want to replace this electric with a gas water heater. I'm
guessing that means going to the county and pulling a permit so that
an inspector can check my work? I have a gas furnace and I'm tired of
having a $20 minimum gas bill every month all Spring, Summer and Fall
for nothing.

You may not need a permit - it depends on how much your county wants to rip
off its residents. Plus, if you start the bureacratic ball rolling, they may
insist that the work be done by a licensed and blessed plumber. Best to call
them and ask. Anonymously.

I don't think you'll need a bunch of pipe tools - dies, etc. Standard
lengths from the box store should get you close enough to the new water
heater such that a flexible pipe, three feet or so, can complete the
connection.

I'm with you on saving money. I live in a duplex - converted to single
family - and hooked the two gas supplies together. Then I had the gas
company shut off service to one side. Saved $18.00/month.

does your home have a convenient vent for the new gas water heater
chimney? thats essential

This 50 yo house still has the chimney that was used for the original
oil furnace so I am thinking I can use that for the hot water heater.
The current gas furnace has the PVC pipe scheme so the old chimney has
been unused and capped off. If I position the water heater next to the
furnace I shouldn't need to add more than a minimal amount of gas
pipe.

You will need a chimney insert (liner) for the flue to meet code - and
for good reason. Put one in.- Hide quoted text -

How do you know what the specific code is where he lives?
I would think a 5" flue is perfectly fine in many municipalities.