Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,sci.electronics.repair
who where who where is offline

Default Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 18:44:15 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:07:38 +0800, who where wrote:

The thinner you try and make the cable the greater the corners you
have to cut. But which of these do you reduce?
The sheath is important where (super)flat cable is to be run under
carpet, as is the conductor and insulation on each wire. No easy
answer.

Well, super flat uses #28 awg wire. Commodity CAT5 is #24 awg. CAT6
is #23 awg. The #28 awg isn't a problem unless you need to replace
the crimp on connector ends, or you need to run DC power through the
cable.

I've tried using flat (not super-flat) CAT5 under carpets. The stuff
rolls over as the rug moves and eventually creates a lump. Carpet
tape helps, but it still doesn't last.

Crikey! While I would contemplate flat-cat under carpet(*) (local
interpretation here is wall-to-wall and fixed with barbed
"smooth-edge" around perimeter) I'd never expect a satisfactory result
under a rug (loose piece of carpet). Your experience reinforces that.

I recently received some flat
cable designed specifically for under the carpet installs:
http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documents/ENG/1499119-Customer_Drawing-RevE.pdf
Note that it's #24 awg wire, which means it uses standard connectors.
I'll be replacing the lumpy CAT5 shortly and expect it to work better.
Note that I have to notch the wings in order to make a turn.

Tyco/Amp's catalog for under carpet installs:
http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documents/UC_Comm_System_Booklet_Rev3.pdf

Tnx for the link.

The application here was in a residence with solid brick walls, and
the need to get connection to an "island" section of inner wall
without cable running down a wall or around a skirting board, which
the client felt would be unsightly. Client also ruled out wireless.
These rooms were carpeted(*).