Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default How to orient hall ceiling lights?

On Dec 24, 7:09*am, Don Wiss wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:58:28 -0500, wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...nddestinations....

*GENERALLY, you would have seen them 90 degrees from the shown
installation, but either is "correct"

Actually my hall is different from what is pictured. My hall is a hallway
that surrounds a side stairs (the way they did rowhouses back then). There
is a door on the side of the hall at each end. By orienting mine parallel
with the hall, the sides will be seen as one is turning at the end of the
stairs (especially on the way down), and when exiting those two side rooms.

To me the way it was done in the picture is odd.

I had not unwrapped mine. To be transported home (via car service, hotel
storage, bus seat, taxi) they had been all wrapped in bubble wrap. I
decided to unwrap and post a picture. I found that the very, very flimsy
shade-holders they put on got mangled. Checking my other 1890 gas fixture I
found much sturdier holders had been put on (and have brass lips under the
cardboard sleeves). Here one is:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/Hal...ixture1890.jpg

Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Just looked at the jpg, a bit wonky on the right? But all in all,
where is the best place to get architectural accents?