Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Federal Pacific Electric Stabloc

On 12/26/2011 7:12 AM, RBM wrote:
On 12/26/2011 12:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
That could be a labor saver. Do you have a URL? I havn't heard of such.

Just google "fedral pacific circuit breaker" you'll get a bizillion of
them. Here is one:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Feder.../dp/B000WUJ2RK

I rarely come across Federal Pacific panels here in Alabamastan and any
problems with them are the same problems that affect other brands of
circuit breaker panels. I see dirt and the biggest problem, corrosion of
the area where the breaker makes electrical contact with the buss. In
new construction or remodels I will often use contact cleaners to get
the construction dust off the connections. Something like Ideal Noalox
can be used to re-lube the the contacts. On a lot of service calls I
find corrosion and a soft bristle or brass bristle brush along with a
spray electrical cleaner will clean it up. In some cases the stab is
burnt and melted making it useless which is why I have kept old panels
in past years so I could swap out the buss bars. Sometimes a new panel
is less expensive than ordering new replacement buss bars if the old
panel has a lot of damage. I have seen FP replacement breakers at our
local big box hardware stores.

TDD