Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 13 countries that pay higher mfg. salaries than the US

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 12:31:03 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:31:15 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:01:33 -0500, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 12/25/2011 22:35, Ed Huntress wrote:
To anyone who thinks that US manufacturing salaries, including
benefits, are harming our industries or trade, consider that there are
13 other countries that pay mo

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...the-us/250460/

So much for that idea. Some of the countries on that list are among
the most successful exporters of manufactured goods.

Back to the drawing board...

As a lazy researcher when it comes to statistics, I'm gonna go out on a
limb and guess that most of the countries above us in the chart export
items that need a higher skill level to produce, thus the higher
production per hour cost.

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

It doesn't have a simple answer. The closest thing to a summary
reason, though, is that the best exorters with high wages tend to have
strong coordination among labor, management, and government.

In Germany, labor sits on corporate boards. It's written into the
German constitution.

Correct.
And in America it is not so much the dollars per hour cost, but the
dollars per unit cost since, ( or the units per hour , if you want to
put it that way) with the union/management adversarial system, worker
output is not as high as in many of the Euro nations.

That's all well and good, but the point is, they're doing it, and
we're not. And AFAIC, there are no excuses, only things that need to
change.

--
Ed Huntress