Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
miso miso is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On 12/25/2011 7:57 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:05:34 -0800, wrote:

Regarding code, what cities have
inspection of data cables as part of the building inspection process.

In California, all the cities and counties have low voltage wiring
inspections as part of code compliance. In most cases, they simply
require compliance to the latest NEC wiring codes. They may add their
own details, but the basic requirements will need to be met.
Incidentally, the Peoples Republic of Santa Cruz requires a permit for
any construction costing over $500.

Now I can see dumb ass stuff like running data and mains in the same
conduit producing an epic fail. But poor data wiring practices?

It's not the wiring that's the problem. It's how it's mounted and
what it's made from. For example, you need to run plenum cable
through air spaces. Plenum cable does not generate much smoke and
will therefore not asphixiate fire fighters. Proper support and using
riser cable for long vertical runs is simply best practices to prevent
the wire falling or breaking under its own weight.

Try this quiz for practice:
http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_here/whats_wrong_122211/
http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_here/whats_wrong_here_20100701/
Plenty mo
http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_here/

So I can see a code for everything, but how about an inspection for
everything?

From my limited and somewhat dated experience, the inspector doesn't
care much about sloppy LAN wiring. He's probably a former electrician
or contractor and doesn't know much about LAN wiring anyway. He does
care that the low voltage wiring is at least 2" away from AC power,
that it doesn't share any wall outlet boxes, and that it's not running
high currents through the cabling. Incidentally, some IEEE spec
recommends 6" for 120vac and 12" for 240vac. Where there are few
cables, the inspection is rather superficial. Where there's a large
number of cables (hospital, corporate, data center, etc), the
inspections are more thorough.

I can certainly believe the common box issue. Well separated boxes would
never pass muster with the lady of the house. Bad enough they try to
block outlets with furniture. Your suggestion of wiring two walls on
either side of the door is a good one. Almost any wire in a room can be
tolerated except if it crosses a door.

Years ago I took a structured wiring "class" at CES, just to see what
was happening. This was before the WWW was cranking at 11, though it
existed. They suggested two networks per room. I could never get a
reasonable explanation for why this was a good idea. Not on different
walls, but two networks to the same outlet. Like the person saw it done,
but didn't really know why himself. Of course there is no shortage of
space on the wall outlet plate for multiple RJ45.

That was where I learned nearly everyone in the class was an ex-alarm
installer. Oy!