Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Chuck Banshee Chuck Banshee is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 06:25:33 -0800, wrote:

I'd do a run straight from the antenna
to a suitable location for the wireless router
which sounds like the office.
Then I'd do any wired runs that are practical from the router.

That was the original plan.

Typical router supports 4 wired connections.
Do you need more than that?

Nope.

If you want 3 or 4 in the game room, then I'd put a switch there.

I only need ONE in the game room.

What you are saying hits on the original design objective.
I wish my command of English were better because I confused everyone (I
think) because I'm confused HOW to wire from the router to the game room
in this scenario.

Is this the correct scenario for the sum total of the house wiring?
1. Cat5 cable enters house at lowered garage at the near end of the house
2. Cat5 continues into crawl space & into office floor in house center
3. Cat5 ends at a single female RJ45 in the (centrally located) office
4. Another cat5 cable starts at another single RJ45 in the office wall
5. That (inactive) cat5 goes down into the crawl space to the game room
6. That (inactive) cat5 ends at a single RJ45 jack in the game room

If that is the correct wiring sequence, then I can do that relatively
easily.

Now comes the active connections.

In the office - this is what I was planning:
a) The POE sits in the office, one end connected to the wall plate.
b) The other end of the POE connects to the Linksys WRT54G broadband
wireless router (which also has four LAN ports in the back)
c) One LAN port of the WRT54G goes to the desktop computer
d) Another LAN port of the WRT54G goes to the Belkin VOIP desktop phone

At this point, everything but the game room is now working.
The problem is that the game room is too far away for a good signal out
of the WRT54G.

I have two options (I think) for the 'game room' at the far end of the
house:
I. Add a wireless "repeater" of some sort (the purchase & setup of which
I am unfamiliar)
II. Add a cabled connection

THIS IS THE PART THAT WAS CONFUSING ME IN THE BEGINNING:

If I go with the cabled connection to the game room, is it 'this' simple?
A. I attach a jumper from the LAN port on the back of the WRT54G to the
second office wall plate
....(this 2nd office wall plate is just a connection to the game room wall
plate through the crawl space)
B. I attach a jumper from the game room wall plate to the Wii

My original (I agree confused) question was: Is it 'that' simple to add
the game room as a wired connection?

NOTE: It seems weird to me to have a 'dead' wire simply going from the
office wall plate to the game room wall plate.