Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
miso miso is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On 12/25/2011 11:31 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 07:50:54 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 13:36:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Most WISP system use PoE to the radio/antenna on the roof,
and ethernet to some manner of power injector.
From there, you run ethernet to a local router, and then to the
central ethernet switch. The router might be built into your
unspecified model WISP radio. Note that I said
"switch", not "hub". You do not want a hub.

I had to look up hub versus switches versus routers.
- Hub: What goes in one port goes out all the others
- Switch: What goes in one port is 'intelligently' sent to another
- Router: Connects two networks to share the Internet connection

My desired setup is similar to what you've described.

- The 19 dBi planar antenna is outside on a pole pointed at the WISP AP
- (The antenna is not on the roof because I break tiles every time I go
on the roof!)
- Connected to the antenna is an outdoor Ubiquiti Bullet M2 radio
- That outdoor radio is currently configured as a router (not a bridge)
and it is set up to serve DHCP addresses and perform NAT
- From there the outdoor cat5 cable connects to a Ubiquiti 15volt POE
- From the POE, is up to me.

All I need is two wired points inside the house:
- The office (which is in a central location& where I'll put the WRT54G
broadband wireless router)
- The game room (which has a WII that I'd like to connect by wire)

I'd like the 'star' topology previously mentioned.

I'm confused if I need the "active 10/100 Ethernet switch" because I'm
wondering if the Linksys WRT54G is 'already' an active 10/100 Ethernet
switch.

Is it?

It is. See my last posting

Yes, my post as well. The additional switch is what you add to get more
ports. This could be in the closet, or you could put the switch in the
room itself where the wall jack is located if you need more than one
port in a room.

I noticed the Dlink unit I suggested is discontinued. Maybe Jeff can
comment on what magic if any is required so the switch maintained DHCP
reservations. [It is nice not to have the port assignments change. Not a
necessity, but still nice.]

I never owned a Dlink wireless router, but every other Dlink item I've
bought has been great. I don't think Dlink designs anything (I could be
wrong), but is like Beklin, i.e. they use ODMs. But so good thus far.