Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,sci.electronics.repair
who where who where is offline

Default Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 23:49:44 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:59:15 +0800, who where wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:56:12 -0500, micky
wrote:

(snip)
I found this cable, although it's CAT6, not CAT5.
This company only has flat in CAT6, no CAT5. Is that okay?

Cat6 is higher spec/speed than 5E, which in turn is higher spec than
Cat5.

http://www.primuscable.com/store/p/1...-FT-Black.aspx
CAT6 550MHz Flat Ethernet Patch Cable RJ45 CM PVC Snagless 45 FT Black
$9.68 plus 12 shipping. + almost 22 dollars
T568B (AT&T 258A) Wired
UTP Unshielded Twist Pair
CM Type PVC Jacket
32AWG Flat 4pair Stranded Copper Wire
50 Micron Gold Plated RJ45 Plug
RoHS compliant
The cables are only a slim 1.2mm thick that gives a plenty of
ventilation room for network rack wiring.
This is the longest this store has. I have to see if 45 feet is
enough.

Or
http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/...10x6-62250.htm
CAT5E Flat UTP Cable, 32AWG, Black, 50 ft Twisted , stranded,
RoHS Compliant $3.95, how can it be so cheap? Plus 7 dollars
shipping, (since the order is under $50) = 11 dollars, half the
price of the first one, but perhaps too cheap to be worth it?

Try this one: http://www.vpi.us/cable-sf.html (first hit on googling
"superflat cat5"). Up to 50ft Cat5E.

This one is very good. $17 + shipping. Thanks a lot.

I'm embarrassed to say that I only googled on flat, not superflat. I
guess I thought the same companies would sell both, bu I guess not.

Hmmm. I hate to seem ungrateful but I figure you'll want to know. It
says .08 inches, which is iiuc 2 mm. The one from primuscable is
1.2mm, even though it only calls itself flat.

(The cheapest one, Cablewholesale, has a spec sheet,,
http://www.cablewholesale.com/pdfspecs/10x6-6xxxx.pdf is confusing,
Jacket: Min thickness: 0.45mm Good.
Jacket: Overall diameter: 6.00 +/- 0.20 mm 14 times as much?
Must be the width. 8 times for 8 wires and then 3 spaces in betwen
and 2 on the edges. Yes. So 0.45mm would be very thin too, but this
supplies all the DSL so I think I'll pass on this cheapest one. )

Cat5/5E/... cable has controlled pair twists, which minimise crosstalk
between pairs. At a twist "crossover" point, you have in the cable
build:

.. sheath
.. wire insulation
.. wire
.. wire insulation
.. wire insulation
.. wire
.. wire insulation
.. sheath

The thinner you try and make the cable the greater the corners you
have to cut. But which of these do you reduce?
The sheath is important where (super)flat cable is to be run under
carpet, as is the conductor and insulation on each wire. No easy
answer.

If I understand your posts, that .08"/2mm will fit your scenario.
Although I haven't used their superflat (they don't ship to my
country, sob!) that 2mm is about as much compromise as I'd personally
accept.