Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench grinder spindle thread

On 2011-12-25, wrote:
On 25 Dec 2011 03:05:04 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[...]

It is both of those but will not turn.

When backed away from the leadscrew, will the gear at the bottom
turn by hand? If it is frozen, there is something too tight in the
threading dial assembly, and that needs to be disassembled to find out
why it is frozen.

Exactly.

O.K. Remove it from the lathe and double check whether the gear
at the bottom turns freely when it is unmounted. If not, loosen the
screw which is likely in the center of the dial. If this frees it up
somewhat, it is likely that there are chips or other debris either
between the gear and the bearing, or between the dial and the upper
bearing. Disassemble, clean, relubricate, and check again.

[...]

If the gear turns and the dial does not -- check that the screw
in the center of the dial is firmly tightened. (Assuming that it is
held on by a screw through the center as in the photo on the website you
posted a while back in this thread.

I did? My Alzheimer must be worse than I thought.

You -- or someone in the thread, and I think that it was you,
posted a URL to a page on how to single-point threads on a lathe.
Somewhere down a few photos before you get to the threading dial photo.

Better might be to take a photo of your own threading dial on
your lathe, and put it on a web site temporarily -- then let us see the
URL so we can examine what you have.

[ ... ]

You really *should* take the time to make sure that the
threading dial works properly on your lathe -- it is a great time saver,
so any time invested in making it work right now will be repaid many
times over the life of the lathe.

That and 76 other things. However, I have saved all your advice in a
text file for future reference.

O.K. Good luck with that.

Merry Christmas.

And to you (and all others here).

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564