Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Stephen[_8_] Stephen[_8_] is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 13:37:01 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 06:53:20 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 03:39:30 -0800, mike wrote:
You can have two sockets and a jumper wire. Remove the jumper to use
the connector in the middle of the run, but that disconnects the rest of
your system.

That was what I was wondering.

I 'could' put a socket at the wall where the wire enters the house. I'd
put the 15 volt Ubiquiti POE there (to shorten the length to the WISP
antenna 75 feet outside).

Then, the jumper would go from the POE to the center of the house where
the router sits.

That gives me the option of connecting a router either at the point where
the wire enters the house 'or' in the middle of the house (but not both
at the same time).

I 'am' confused - but I was mostly wondering if it badly degraded the
signal to add that jumper as opposed to stringing the outdoor cat5 cable
all the way to the center of the house unbroken.

If one of those devices is a router, you can use one router port to
continue the run while you use another router port to "tap" the signal.

May I reflect on that?

I think you're saying I can put the router itself at the point where the
wire enters the house.

Then, from the four LAN ports of the router, I can continue the 25 feet
to the center of the house.

From another of the four router ports, I can tap off to another portion
of the house.

My question is if I do that - I would want to have permanent jacks in the
wall.

So, I'd go from the antenna to the wall of the house where I'd put a jack.
Then, I'd go to the router INPUT port with a short jumper cable.
Then I'd go from one of the four router OUTPUT LAN ports back to the wall
at another jack next to the first jack.
Plus, I could go from another of the router output LAN ports to a third
jack in the wall, which connects to another portion of the house.

This makes sense to me, and fits my needs.

But are these three jacks next to each other at the wall of the house a
signal degradation issue?

I would not put jacks next to the router, myself. I'd just put plugs
on the end of the cable and plug them directly into the router or
switch.. Put jacks in the wall at the endpoint.

Connections that do not exist cannot cause problems in the future.
Using a jack and jumper at the router adds 4 sets of connections to
each run. That's 32 actual potential points of failure (of which 8 are
critical on 10/100 without POE, which are totally un-needed.

True

But - wiring tends to have a much longer lifetime than the equipment
hung on the end of it - not becuase it costs much, but because of the
hassle and disruption of changing it.

So my preference and the way i have wired up the later runs at home
after this hit me the 1st time is
1. run more sets of cables than you need - always seem to use more
than i tohught i might need......
2. terminate the fixed wiring on a panel or a wall jack.

That way when the "puppy attack" mentioned by Jeff happens, you just
replace a damaged patch lead, rather than the entire run, buried in
the walls.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl