Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Bench grinder spindle thread

On 25 Dec 2011 03:05:04 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[...]

It is both of those but will not turn.

When backed away from the leadscrew, will the gear at the bottom
turn by hand? If it is frozen, there is something too tight in the
threading dial assembly, and that needs to be disassembled to find out
why it is frozen.

Exactly.

[...]

If the gear turns and the dial does not -- check that the screw
in the center of the dial is firmly tightened. (Assuming that it is
held on by a screw through the center as in the photo on the website you
posted a while back in this thread.

I did? My Alzheimer must be worse than I thought.

It is possible that the dial is a permanent part of a shaft, and
there is a setscrew or a pin connecting the dial to the gear. Mine is
of the latter design. Make sure that those are in place and tight as
well.

Once all of this is verified, with the threading dial pickup
gear enaged with the leadscrew, you should observe the following
conditions:

[...]

You really *should* take the time to make sure that the
threading dial works properly on your lathe -- it is a great time saver,
so any time invested in making it work right now will be repaid many
times over the life of the lathe.

That and 76 other things. However, I have saved all your advice in a
text file for future reference.

Merry Christmas.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC