Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
willshak willshak is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

willshak wrote the following:
Justin Time wrote the following:
"miso" wrote in message
I'm a bit confused here. It should be one device per line, so what
are you paralleling?

I'd put the router someplace like a closet in the middle of the house
and run wires to each room as needed. There are "structured" wiring
bays if you want to get fancy, rather than have wires dangling in the
closet.

All computer and Internet devices are wireless and the rest of the
electronic technology is close behind, such as TVs. Centralize a
wireless router and forego wiring the house.

My wireless experience.
When I installed another computer in the basement, after already having
a computer in each of our 3 bedrooms running off a wired router in the
master bedroom (2 daughters with their own computer in their bedrooms),
I elected to replace the wired router with a wireless router because the
basement was 3 floors down and on the opposite side of the house from
the master bedroom. This would have required running the cat cable up
though the MB wall into the upper attic, then across the attic rafters
to the other side of the upper attic, then down one floor into the lower
attic, then down though that attic wall 2 floors into the basement. I
didn't want to go though all that destruction.
After the wireless router was hooked up, I had a lot of problems with
the wireless signal in the basement, basically because the signal had to
go though walls and floors some 60 feet away. I tried moving the
wireless receiver all around the basement, including hanging it from the
ceiling in various places, trying to find the best place to get a good
signal. But wherever I put it, I would get a wavering signal, good one
time then bad another, sometimes within minutes of moving it. Kinda like
my cell phone signal in the basement which wavers from 1 bar to 4.
I finally moved the receiver across the room to the opposite side of the
basement without leaving my computer chair. Of course, the ///modem///,

Sorry, I meant 'receiver'.

being
in several pieces now, didn't get any signal at all. :-)
I then reluctantly went through the trouble of threading a cat5 cable
through the house.
The wireless router is still used because even though we lost 2 wired
computers when the girls moved out, we have a wireless laptop in the
kitchen for those times when you need the internet to look something up,
or connecting to one of the social networking services (not me) without
having to run up or down stairs. Besides, it can be used throughout the
main floor, or hooked up to the LED HDTV.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY