Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain connection to sewer for condensate drain?

On Dec 24, 9:40*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 16:37:41 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

Be sure to put a "P" trap in the condensate drain line, what ever you do
with the water.

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Why does the condensate need a trap if there is already
a trap in the shower drain?

I don't have a trap on mine.
It's all 3/4" PVC running to the sump.
All gravity.
If you have a condensate pump and tank, your idea of going to the
closet drain is fine. *Check your local codes.
You are talking about running the condensate line from near the
basement floor to ceiling height, right?

Yes.

If the condensate pump check valve is near the pump, the line going to
the shower drain will always be full.

Check valve is on the pump.

So you can use a saddle instead of a Y above the trap.
Saves space and work.

--Vic.

What do you call those saddle valves for a drain?
Sounds like exactly what I need. Only ones I'm familiar
with are the type for copper water lines.

Thanks!