Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

On Dec 25, 1:41*am, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:10:20 -0500, Justin Time wrote:
Centralize a wireless router and forego wiring the house.

That's essentially what I'm attempting.

I'll wire from the WISP antenna to the house (~ about 75') and then from
the house to the center of the house (~ another 25') where I'll put a
Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

I was mostly wondering if it was a good idea to BREAK the line at the
point where it entered the house (and put a jack there plus the POE power
supply) ... or ... if I should strive to keep the line intact up to the
router in the center of the house.

I think others have already responded that every time you put a
connection in a cable, you introduce one more place for problems
to occur. Put that connection outside, where the cable enters
the house and it's even more susceptable to problems.

Another secondary issue is each time you break the cable,
make a splice or use another connector there is some signal
loss. In this case, I think that's a minor point though.

Another issue I'd be concerned about is lightning protection.
Since the antenna is outside, I'd make sure the mast is
directly grounded and I'd also put some kind of surge protection
on the wires entering the house. Exactly what kind is
available off-the-shelf for this application I don't know.