Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Drain connection to sewer for condensate drain?

On Dec 24, 9:41*am, "
wrote:
Anyone with experience in typical plumbing codes have
advice on this? I need to route the condensate drain on
a high efficiency furnace/AC to an appropriate drain.

It appears that going outside is not a good idea, because
it's subject to freezing here and also I'm not keen on
putting extra water near the foundation in the most logical
area. *I don't have sump pump, so can't drain it to a
sump basin.

Here it's permitted and apparently a preferred
method to route it into the sewer system. *The simplest
way would be to route it to a laundry sink drain. *Problem
is I don't have one in the basement and the first floor
one is on the other side of the basement and running
anything up there to it isn't going to be easy either.

So, what I came up with is this. *I have a shower on
the first floor that is within range. *The trap is accessible
with maybe 7 inches of DWV pipe between it and the shower
drain. *I am looking to connect into there, above the
trap. *I've seen
online where HVAC guys have tapped into all kinds of
sewer or sewer vent lines using some kind of barbed
fitting where they just drill a hole and screw it in.
But I know some or all of them don;t meet code.
But I'm wondering if you do it in the right place, ie it's
protected by a trap, is that kind of connection code
compliant? * And what kind of fitting would one use?
I don't recall seeing any barbed fitting other than
standard pipe threads. *Would think you'd need
some different thread to screw into a hole drilled
into DWV pipe.

Or alternatively, let's say I cut the drain pipe, install
a wye fitting, reduce it down to a barbed fitting and
then connect the hose to that, is that code compliant?
I would think it would be, but not sure.

Any thoughts?

I tapped into the sewer, then I had a flood backup, it flooded and
ruined my furnace. Plan ahead.