Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Which is failing - my car's battery or the charging system?

On Dec 21, 5:31*pm, "D. Dalton" wrote:
I installed a new battery in my car just two years ago. That seems a bit
recent for a battery to give out...

Is there an easy way to determine which is giving problems: the battery or
the charging system?

I presume you have sorted it by now, thanks for informing us BTW.

Someone mentioned checking the terminals for slack, nobody mentioned
checking them for salt.

If you have corrosion on the terminals, take them off sand them clean
wax them over and refit after a recharge.

A jump start and a brief run out in low gear should sort it. It should
get a bang charge from the system enough to get it going after that.

If you ever find yourself stranded in the middle of nowhere with
salted battery terminals, a flush with lemonade or urine or whatever
you can find, will wash it off. It might then just start itself.

Salted over terminals will insulate the battery and stop it
discharging; that is to say: stop it working. Cleaning them usually
sorts it.

I don't have to remind you, do I, to take the battery out when you get
home after ****ing on it?

Or why?