Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] szeik@hotmail.com is offline

Default Plumbing question

Just when I thought our dream bathroom was looking so good I noticed a
problem with the height of the shower head.

The shower head is 3 inches shorter than it is supposed to be. The
contractor measured from the rough floor and forgot to take into
account the tile height and the cement and tile that was added.

It is at 6' 4" and the one in our downstairs bathroom is 6' 7" which
is a good height for me. I'm 6' 1". 6' 4" is not going to cut if for
me without putting on one of those ridiculous looking extenders which
I am not willing to do.

This really stinks because the bathroom was looking so good and he has
been meticulous about everything and we really like him.

He told us he would take care of it but I'd like to get some feedback
here as to what our options are to raise that rough opening height.

The shower is fully tiled now but they didn't do the grout yet. I
would prefer if there was a way he can do it from the bathroom side by
popping a few tiles out but I don't know what is involved in raising
that pipe. Can it be cut and a new piece welded on to add a few
inches? They would have to cut the wonder board as well. I'm just
wondering how big an opening they would have to make or if it is even
possible to do without opening a very large portion of the wall.

The only other option seems to be to bust the wall in my son’s bedroom
and fix it from that side. Not something I would like to do but I
guess we will do it if that is the only way to fix it.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone knowledgeable in plumbing
and tile work.

Thanks in advance,
Steve