Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine valve seat

On 11/22/2011 12:33 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The one time I worked on a 5 HP briggs, it was a log
splitter that was way under powered. I cleaned the valves
with a wire brush, and it ran fine. I'd borrowed the
splitter, and he was pleased to get it back with an oil
change and better power.

Yours looks a bit worse than the one I remember. Well, a lot
worse. I remember that valve seat cutters from Belsaw were a
bit expensive. I don't remember off hand, how to get the
seat out, and replace. Heat, drive it with a pin punch,
probably.

Just for giggles, if that was my machine I'd wire brush the
seats and valves. Check valve clearance, put it back
together with new gasoline, and see how it runs. But, that's
me. I'm sure others will advise you to "do the right thing"
and have a good shop do it up. If you have the valve job,
set of gaskets, oil change, and so on. Then, you should have
years of service left.

A good wire brush will fix EVERYTHING!