Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine valve seat - FOLLOWUP

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 17:33:25 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

jim wrote:
If this thing is designed to have a large inertial mass attached on the
other end of the crank then that could be aggravating the kick back
also. But usually a horizontal 5hp would just have a small pulley to
drive a belt.

It drives a leaf vac. And has a longer shaft for the fan (I think). So
maybe the engine was designed for it and does need the mass. Maybe.

At any rate, it does run with the fan on, as reported. We'll see.

Bob

Aluminum flywheel, or cast iron??
If it is an aluminum flywheel it will be virtually impossible to start
without the mass of a blade or other load connected.