Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bench grinder spindle thread

On 2011-12-23, wrote:
On 21 Dec 2011 03:53:33 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I do have a threading indicator but a cursory inspection would suggest
that it is not working. In any case I felt I wanted to take that
variable out of the equation for the moment. If I do more of this I
shall re-visit it.

What do you see which indicates that it is not working

What you should see, if it is working properly a

1) When you crank the carriage from side to side without the
leadscrew turning, the dial should rotate.

2) When the carriage is stationary, but the leadscrew is turning
the dial should rotate.

3) When the half-nuts are engaged (for threading, or likely on
some lathes, for longitudinal feed as well), the dial is
stationary.

I do not think it turns at all. Pending detailed assessment.

You snipped out the part where I mentioned that it could be
mounted but disengaged, and was likely shipped set that way to reduce
wear on the leadscrew until you are ready to do single-point threading.

Is yours held to the side of the apron by a single screw? If
you loosen the screw, can it be rotated so the gear on the bottom end
engages the leadscrew? That should be all that is needed to make it
work.

[ ... ]

All in all I would like to thank everyone for their helpful advice. I
feel almost like a proper machinist now.

Being able to single-point cut threads does make you feel like
that, doesn't it?

How did one live without a lathe?

I don't know -- though I must have at one point. :-) I remember
the first access to a small lathe (a 6" South Bend, I think) at work
back around 1960.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564