Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine valve seat - FOLLOWUP

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Rick wrote:

snip
Do you have the crank connected to the load? I'm wondering if the
flywheel needs the added inertia of the blower (like a vertical shaft
mower needs the blade). ...

Ohhhh ... yes! Never occurred to me, but you're right. I have a
vertical lawn mower engine used without the blade I occasionally get the
_same_ "kickback". I'm gonna' try it with a load.

This motor is used on a leaf vac. The load is a fan of 1/4" steel that
must weigh 6 - 8 lbs. I put the fan on, tried starting it, and it ran!
Pretty scary, though, with that fan running exposed!

I'm tempted to say "Problem solved", but it was loaded when this whole
problem started! So, I'm hopeful, but cautiously so.

Thanks again,
Bob