Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default lawn tractors - hydro drive vs not

On 12/23/2011 9:15 AM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 19:00:23 -0500, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

"Jules wrote in message

Does hydraulic drive on a lawn tractor typically sap more of the
engine's power to operate than good a old-fashioned setup (belt-driven
conical clutch and reversing gear in the diff)? Or are they pretty
much comparable?

cheers

Jules

FWIW, after six years my hydrostatic drive crapped out. I just paid
about $500 to replace it.

Ouch! See my reply to Dennis; supposedly the hydro on this one I've found
is good, but of course I'd be taking the seller's word for it. I think my
current lawn tractor's about 26 years old; it's rather fun keeping it
running, but it has a few 'quirks' - one with hydro would be nice as then
I could talk my boy into doing the lawns when I was feeling lazy (we've
got a couple of acres, so it takes a while).

cheers

Jules

think goats