Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:10:11 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Dec 22, 12:47*pm, micky wrote:
Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?
Or do I need thicker wire?

I have consistently slow download speeds on low-speed DSL based on the
Verizon line-test andwww.speedtest.org, and the one weak spot in my
home wiring could be the wire from the outdood NID to the Verizon
modem. * I"m not using the wiring that came with the house***.

Right now, I"m using some *indoor* but outside the wall phone wire,
the flexible kind that's meant to work with modular plugs and go from
the wall socket to the phone. * But I have it from the NID, running
loosely up the side of the house*** to a window which is shut but not
very tightly, to the hall and back into the next bedroom with the
modem, a total of about 50 feet.

Is OUTSIDE THE WALL wire inadequate for such a llong length, 50'?

I ask because a few months ago I bought some specially thin indoor
modular phone wiring, meant to go under a carpet without making a
lump, sold at Home Depot, and when I used that, my phones worked fine,
but my internet worked NOTat all.

Changing back to a new piece of the original outside the wall, but not
thin, wiring got me back to normal, that is, normally slow.

Should I be using the round, bendable but not really flexible wire,
where each of the four colors is a single strand of wire, which is
meant to go inside walls and for longer distances?

It's a bunch of effort^^ to try this, so I need some encouragement.

^^In practice, it will mean I won't be able to shut the window even as
much as now, until I drill a hole in the window frame.

***I can't use the inside the wall wiring that came with the house
because there is an intermittent short somewhere. *I looked for it for
hours, disconnecting wires etc. and couldn't find it.

Or is it more likely my 4-year old Verzion modem needs replacing?
Or that there is a problem in part that Verizon controls?

Thanks a lot.

OK - You have the "inside wiring" running from the NID to the modem.
What else is connected to the telephone line, either in the house or
at the NID? Do you have a real telephone hooked up at all? If there

Just one real telephone (with 3 wireless extensions from it.

is any house wiring connected directly to the NID, without going thru
the splitter that normally splits the internet frequencies from the
audio frequencies, there are alll sorts of bad scenarios. First tell
us more about what your connections are, and then I and others can
give you a much more detailed answer.

As you probably saw, replacing the wall-jack-to-phone wire I was using
from the modem to the NID with the rather stiff, round,
inside-the-wall wire multiplied my download rate by atout 3.

This is not the stiffest phone wire made, either. I think I've seen
both flimsier and stiffer wire of the same 4-wire 4-color design.

For that matter, my wall-jack-to-phone wire probably wasn't the best
quality either. It came from a 100' roll from Radio Shack iirc. A
lot of wire doesn't come with ratings and I don't know which ratings
matter, and what values are good or bad.