Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Drying Green Wood

In article ,
"James" wrote:

I left the walls at about 5/8" to 3/4" and the bottom about 1 1/2"
thick. The height is about 8" to 9" and it's about 9" across. It is

Just to pile on. The bottom is too thick

The theory for wet turning is the wall thickness should be about 10% of
the diameter, and the bottom should be a little thinner then the walls

getting down to 10* to 20* at night here so freezing might be an
option. I could also put it in the chest freezer. My next move is to
buy a new roughing gouge as my old one had grab and broke at the tang
just when I had gotten it sharpened to where it was working good. I
welded it back together but I won't trust it now and I was a welder
forever and have a Heli-arc and know what I'm doing. I'll use it for
light duty stuff. I'm not sure what brand it was maybe a Disson. I've
had them since Jr. High and that was a long time ago. A question on
roughing gouges can a spindle roughing gouge be used for bowls or
should one get one of each? Jim

I think you have learned why NOT to do this (there are You-Tube videos
showing and explaining why not to do this)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv