Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default Small engine valve seat - FOLLOWUP

On Dec 23, 1:51*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I finally got back to this engine (life kept intruding).

Jon Elson wrote:

* No, these small differences in valve clearance will not prevent it
* from running.

Great, I didn't want to fool around with them any more.

* ... *Does this have electronic (breaker less) ignition,
* or is there a set of points buried under a cover under the flywheel?

It had points, then was converted to breaker less. *The points are still
there & the wires cut.

* Hmmmm, funny it had the kickback when the flywheel was out of time.
* That indicates the spark was adequate then. *...

Maybe "kickback" wasn't the right term. *'Cause there wasn't ignition, I
think. *What happened was, as I was pulling the start cord, there was a
very abrupt & solid stop. *So much so that I hurt my rotator cuff, not
seriously, though.

I just occurred to me that maybe that was what sheared the flywheel key.
* In fact, I just looked and it's sheared again! *WTF?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

* Since (DAMHIKT) the points gap can shear a key, I'd be looking at that.

That's a new one for me. *It does have the old points there, even though
they aren't used. *Is it the plunger that does it? *It fits, though,
'cause the key has sheared again.

Thanks,
Bob

Authentic (though spark induced) pre-ignition.

World needs a handle that attaches to the pull-start handle that pops
loose beyond a certain tension.

Dave