Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tnik tnik is offline

Default machining bronze

On 12/23/2011 10:28 AM, Randy333 wrote:
Any here have some real experience machining bronze castings? I have
to do a job with a 4"deep bore 1.750 dia. and a 32 finish. Can I do
it with a long carbide end mill? I use 4" LOC hanita vari-mills in
cast iron and they leave a really sweet looking finish when they are
new. (when they get dull the start to chatter).

Or is this boring head territory? I have a tooling guy quoting me
some boring heads.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

I would say the 32 finish and the tolerance on the hole would delegate
how you want to machine it. If it was one part, I would drill and bore
it. But I have alot of boring bars at my disposal here.

Tom