Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picasaweb, Google+ and link-to-photo

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:22:27 +0000, fred wrote:

Purely as a user, if I see a link to oics on Picasa I usually don't
bother, I don't see why I should need to turn on javascript,
referrer.logging, automatic redirection, probably flash too and use a
secure connection just to view a few pics.

+1 flickr isn't as nice as it was, the amount of scripting that goes
on rose quite steeply a while back which slows it down.

Pity on all fronts...

Picasa is quite nice in that you an point it at your local primary store of
photos, arroungs into albums and sync the albums you want upto google which
is useful for forming public collections. You can do loads of picasa stuff
offline, like captions and sync whne convenient.

But in tying it into G+, Google have ****ed the web side right over.
Something with the model of Google Calendar would be far more useful -
proper permissions handling and simple linking.

Flickr is better on those fronts, but do not have a decent linux offline
app.

Just to have a public place to bung an image with a direct link to
that image tinypic.com is probably the best.

Yes. But it's not good fo rmy useage model where I want to keep a few albums
of select stuff online.

Cheers,

Tim

--