Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad

Default Best Monitor?

Michael Karas wrote:

If you try to turn it on, when there is an active video signal, does an
image display for a half second and then go back off?

If so then there is a high degree of possibility that the problem with
the monitor is easily repairable. The manufacturers of monitors use
really crappy electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and over time
these are either drying out or bulging to the point of venting.

The other possibility is a problem in the CCFL backlight. My boss
has a pair of Radius screens that started to flicker and go dark, and it got
worse. I opened up the worst one, and the backlight power supply (it had 2
per screen) had the tails of through-hole parts that poked through a mylar
shield behind the PC board and were sparking to the conductive RFI shield
coating on the case. I cut the leads flush and fashioned a new shield for
the inverter boards. These monitors are still working quite a few years
later.

Jon