Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Under new bill, Americans can be arrested and taken to Guantánamo Bay

"HeyBub" wrote in message

stuff snipped

And lest you think that it's just not right to imprison someone without
benefit of a trial, remember only CRIMINALS get trials. Every day those in
civil contempt, juveniles, the mentally unstable, "illegal aliens", and
carriers of contagious diseases are locked up without trial. They didn't

get
a trial because they, like UECs, are not criminals.

That's a little misleading, Bubster, to say the least. (-:

All of the groups you mention don't get trials but they are all able to
avail themselves of judicial process. To be committed for any length of
time, the mentally defective are entitled to a competency hearing.
Juveniles have juvenile court. Those in civil contempt have usually been
found to be so because of a judge's order. We just don't lock people up
willy-nilly like China or Russia. Until recently, anyway.

Illegal aliens have their fate decided at immigration hearings and even
those held under suspicion of having a *severely* contagious disease have a
right to a hearing to determine whether the facts of their case truly
warrant quarantine. Haven't you been around when John Hinkley comes up for
release review? That's a judicial proceeding. No one I know of in the US
is locked up for very long without due process.

So all those groups get their day in court, just not as criminal defendants
in a criminal trial but as subjects of judicial hearings. UEC's however,
aren't entitled to any sort of due process, and I don't think that's a
situation that's going to last forever because it is so at odds with the
concepts set forth in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Non-Americans view our treatment of UEC's as extremely hypocritical and not
in keeping with the democracy and human rights that the US is always trying
to get other countries to follow. Or force down their throats at the point
of a gun. They're right.

Say, did you break up with your nurse friend? A little bird from Texas
whispered something in my ear. (-:

--
Bobby G.