Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which is failing - my car's battery or the charging system?

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Yes. Someone mentioned the Aldi ones, and they are indeed excellent.

One fault I've found is that if the battery is very flat, the charger
will auto-detect it as a 6V battery, and think it's fully charged in
about 5 seconds when it gets to around 7V, and it's impossible to get
past that point. What I did was just connect up a low powered wall-
wart PSU to the battery for about a minute which got the battery up
to 8 or 9 volts, which is then correctly detected as a 12V battery
by the charger, and proper charging commences.

Or if you have a jump start pack, connect that across the battery as well
as the charger for a while, then disconnect. The charger should then be
fine if the battery isn't knackered.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.