Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Which is failing - my car's battery or the charging system?

In message ,
writes
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:04:56 +1300, Gib Bogle
wrote:

Your post reminds me of something I've often wondered about when using a
battery charger. Is it possible to damage a battery by leaving it on
charge for too long? Should I always do the Ah calculation to determine
how long to give it?

Do the calc first to give you an idea of how long max it should take.
Leaving it on charge for days on end with a crude basic charger is
what can stuff it.
Having said that, the basic crude traditional charger is still bloody
useful to pump some charge into a battery when the modern electronic
chargers will give up on it.

Plus a modern charger may well not charge an absolutely flat battery.
--
hugh