Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which is failing - my car's battery or the charging system?

In article ,
writes:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:04:56 +1300, Gib Bogle
wrote:

Your post reminds me of something I've often wondered about when using a
battery charger. Is it possible to damage a battery by leaving it on
charge for too long? Should I always do the Ah calculation to determine
how long to give it?

Do the calc first to give you an idea of how long max it should take.
Leaving it on charge for days on end with a crude basic charger is
what can stuff it.
Having said that, the basic crude traditional charger is still bloody
useful to pump some charge into a battery when the modern electronic
chargers will give up on it.

Yes. Someone mentioned the Aldi ones, and they are indeed excellent.

One fault I've found is that if the battery is very flat, the charger
will auto-detect it as a 6V battery, and think it's fully charged in
about 5 seconds when it gets to around 7V, and it's impossible to get
past that point. What I did was just connect up a low powered wall-
wart PSU to the battery for about a minute which got the battery up
to 8 or 9 volts, which is then correctly detected as a 12V battery
by the charger, and proper charging commences.

--
Andrew Gabriel