Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bw bw is offline

Default Small engine valve seat - FOLLOWUP

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Been five years or so, since I worked on one of these. Thanks for the
reminder. Hey, Bob, got to make sure the ignition coil is very close to
the
fly wheel. I like to rip a spark plug box apart. Put that between the
flywheel and the coil. Loosen the two 5/16 bolts from top of the coil, and
slide the coil in snug to the flywheel magnets. Tighten the hold down
bolts.
Crank the fly wheel to get the cardboard out. I think the spec is .014
inch
air gap, but a spark plug box thickness works OK, too.

Later Briggs books spec the gap at .008 but I've seen sources say anything
from .002 to .014 is ok.

Another cheap source for a shim is aluminum cut from the side of a soda can.

Remember to check for bearing wear. Bearing wear allows the flywheel to
"wobble" enough to affect the magnet gap. After adjusting, rotate the
flywheel a couple times and check the magnet gap to make sure it doesn't rub
the coil.