Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

In message
,
harry writes
On Dec 21, 10:17*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writesClive George wrote:

Much less stinky too. Cambridge had some CNG ones in the 90s (might
still do, don't know), and though the smell was a bit odd there wasn't
much of it and they were much more pleasant to be around.

Brisbane was very fresh smelling - I put it down to all the busses and taxis
being LPG.

China is encouraging taxi LPG conversions too.

As we did in the UK for a while but then the last government suddenly
changed the rules because it was claimed that it wasn't cutting CO2
emissions- which was never the argument for using LPG in the first
place.
--
hugh

LPG powered vehicles have their own peculiar nasty stink. Worse than
petrol.
Unless they have a cat.

Having owned an LPG V8 Land Rover for abut 10 years I can say that is
utter rubbish. One of my sales gimmicks (used to do conversions) was to
crouch down by the exhaust outlet and challenge any owner of a petrol
engined car to do the same with theirs.
The cat has virtually no impact whatsoever on an LPG fuelled car and I
know many people take them of and still pass the omissions test.

If there is any smell at all it's the odour that is deliberately added
to domestic LPG for the detection of leaks as propane is odourless as
are the products of its combustion - CO2 & H20
--
hugh