Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lets have green public transport

harry wrote:

On Dec 21, 8:25 pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message

snip drivel

but there's a *reason* that Tesco et al use 44 tonners to resupply
their stores

Because their stores do have rail lines to them.

Railway anoraks need to understand, as I've said before, that no mode
of transport has an automatic right to exist. 150 years ago trains were
the bizz because there was no alternative. That ain't true anymore.

Nothing has replaced the train. Look at the amount of passengers or
freight they carry in one train.

Electrification of all remaining lines and consequent dumping of diesel
make also have some impact, but I don't know the cost implications
there at all. But it's a better way of spending 25 billyun quid.

You really have not a clue!

I think if they build HS2, common mortals won't be able to afford the
fares.

Common mortals can't afford HS1.
--
Tim Watts