Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lets have green public transport

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Which, really, is the way to solve this whole rediculous problem of
millions of people sitting on trains and in cars every day - get as many
people whose jobs permit working out of their houses - or in small
satellite offices dotted around. It's the way forward. Then the people
whose presence is actually required will have an easier time of it too.

I'm just going to add to that - at High Brooms, N. Tunbridge Wells, there is
a "rent-an-office" megabuilding, near the railway station, accessible from
the A21 and plenty of parking, on an industrial estate that is going
boomtime with retail - Asda, M&S, Argos etc.

Those sort of rent-an-office could potentially take off as micro centres for
larger companies. Rent one room or 3, stretch the company network down and
phone system down, have your staff together in small groups (for those jobs
that aren't quite so practical to homework, or where people do actually want
to escape their house). Totally flexible, not much admin overhead...

This is the sort of thing that will not happen by itself - it needs some
incentive, such as taxing the hell out of city premises or something. But
that won't happen...

SWMBO was commuting to a job in the City she could do BETTER from home.
(graphic designer) she was able to do three more hours a day and save
£10k p.a. in travelling and 'pret a manger' costs..

She asked if she could do it permanently (and not just when the trains
broke down).

NO.

A previous bunch were like that that. "Oooh, it might set a precedent..." So
what?

Current bunch are happy as for half the week I don't see any given half of
the people are they are all working from home.

She left.

The actual loss in net income from a 30K+ job in the city was less than
10k net.

I have at least two other friends who work as subcontractors entirely
from home.

It will happen because its cheaper.

Or aid staff retention. Mine don't pay so well as a certain other ex-London
University college, but OTOH I don't need to pay for the tube with this lot
(walking distance from Charing X) and I'm likely to stay because they are
very flexible with working arrangements as long as stuff gets done, which it
does.

What is needed is for crap managers who cant manage except by holding
meetings and waffling to be sacked, and crap businesses to fold.

Yep. Sadly, with bigger companies, the inertia between the causality of crap
management and the result of implosion seems to take forever...

--
Tim Watts