Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which is failing - my car's battery or the charging system?

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:

I *assume* my battery will be flat after 2 weeks in winter, and leave
the jump leads and a pair of gloves handy in the boot for return.
Borrowing a jump from another car is a simple 5 minute job if you have
the equipment, and much preferable to waiting an hour for the RAC or
airport to help you

Ohh, you shouldn't do that to a battery. Normal lead-acids aren't
designed to be left in a deep discharged state. Get one of those little
photovoltaics and stand it in the car facing south.

Neighbour with a Porsche - obviously a great car since it hardly ever
moves - has one of these. AA were there the other day trying to start it.
Guess they failed as it was removed on a low loader.

Most standard cars will do at least 3 weeks without use. Many a great deal
more. If they have aftermarket alarms and ICE systems, etc, your guess is
as good as mine.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.